With Spring well under way, I’m hankering for a fresh, fun manicure- nothing to full-on and cumbersome. Something more light and natural, nails that compliment not compete, a look that’s a whole lot more vanilla than a feather manicure or chalkboard nails. Last year I would’ve headed straight to the nude section in my nail varnish collection (remind me to show you this sometime- I know you’ll be impressed with my colour coded, OCD organisation) but this year I’m adopting glitter as a base/nude shade. Usually glitter would fall firmly in the ‘look at me’ category but worn without a base colour and lightly applied, I think glitter qualifies as nude. Today I’m wearing silver glitter with a scatter of scarlet red dots called Ha Ha by Spa Rituals. Welcome Spring.
- Fancy staying in a hotel designed by Karl Lagerfeld….just imagine the accessories! Maybe each room could come equipped with its very own Choupette- just putting it out there. BoF.
- King Karl enlists newbie model Kendall Jenner to walk in the Chanel A/W14 show…. oh yes, a Kardashian on the Chanel catwalk. Fashionista.com.
- Behind the scenes at Lanvin… utter heaven.
- The very best street style snaps from all four fashion weeks in one place- thank you Vogue.
- Katie Holmes and Jeanne Yang dissolve their partnership, the duo have worked on Holmes & Yang for five years but apparently can no longer agree on where the brand is heading. Such a shame, sometimes a little friction can bring out the best in a partnership. Daily Mail.
New Fashion in 5 for Spring.
Sharon Sunners quit her day job in the big smoke to launch Emmy Twenty. Ballerina pumps made from real leather that don’t break the bank… that’s my kind of girl!
1. I started Emmy Twenty because….
I had looked everywhere for leather ballerina pumps at a mid-level price point. All I could find were PU versions or very pricey leather ones, I came up with the idea to design my own.
2. What I love most about my job is…..
Whenever I hear great feedback from customers, that’s a massive boost to my day.
3. If I could start my career again I would….
Keep it the same. What woman out there doesn’t love shoes?!
4. Above all else I value….
My health. If you’ve got that, then everything else is a bonus. (Couldn’t agree more!).
5. This year is all about….
Flat shoes! They’re everywhere right now, and I’m sure the appreciation is set to stay.
I’ve been waiting until everything was finalised to announce…. I’m the new girl at Scarlett London!
From this month I will be contributing to the fashion, beauty and lifestyle site as part of the Fashion Team. I’ll be the new girl, which is rather exciting and scary in equal measure but I’m looking forward to the challenge of working on a publication that’s been nominated/short-listed for numerous industry awards. You might be wondering why I would want to write for another blog when I have my own one right here. Two reasons mainly; blogging can be a lonely business and working with others, bating ideas around, will make a nice change from talking to myself. Scarlett London covers area’s that I don’t regularly cover like food, health, gossip and travel. I’m always keen to stretch myself and try something new, discover how others do what they do…. maybe I’ll learn something amazing.
My Flash Trash sent over a preview link to their sparkly new website last week so I could have a little look around before the new site launched.
Now up and running with a whole lot of new features and fabulous photo’s to inspire customers, I could hardly leave empty-handed. I’ve been lusting over a couple of rings that encapsulate the midi ring trend just perfectly. I finally decided on a silver seed ring by Tara Osborne that matches my laid back luxe style. I teamed my new bling with a grey Ciaté mani (Pillow Fight) and glitter index finger (Confetti).
Pop over to My Flash Trash and take a look.
Paris Fashion Week sets the Parisian capital alight this week…
- RiRi steals the limelight with her daring choice of outfit, we had french maid at Dior, intrepid explorer at Balmain, androgynous at Lanvin and barely there at all, to the Balmain after party. Metro.
- Garance Doré launches her very first stationery collection with Rifle yesterday at Colette. Beautiful illustrations and lots of social media. Fashionista.com.
- Raf Simons steps up his campaign to re-work the classic Dior look with a sports luxe twist. Sharp tailoring and double-breasted suits sat alongside lace-up details, brilliant brights and quilting. Inspired cuts and innovative shapes showcased Raf’s ingenuity (perfect statement dresses for the first lady). The most innovative pieces combined 1940′s nipped waist dresses with splits revealing contrasting coloured, slinky dresses with the addition of crystal appliqué. Vogue.
- Relax…. messy bed hair is officially chic, as seen at several Paris shows. Can’t find the hair brush this weekend, just don’t bother! Huffington Post.
- Paris can always be relied upon to provide a huge hit of fairytale fashion… heavenly. Vogue.
No more messy Bare Minerals.
Bare Minerals High Shine Eyeshadow comes in a handy handbag size, spring-loaded tube, primed and ready to make your eyelids sparkle. Unscrew the top and the applicator pops out, a short brush with a cushioned tip that makes applying the eye colour a one stroke procedure. The brush is fully loaded with a high shine pigment that comes in 12 shades (I have Moonshine, a subtle plum hue), no more tap and swirl required with this product. You can build up the colour to create one bold, high impact shade or blend a darker matt colour into the corner of the eye to create a daytime look. I expected that the velvet constancy would of eventually slipped into the eyelid creases and wrinkle but I was pleasantly surprised that the eyeshadow pretty much stayed in place. I would definitely buy another one because it was easy to use and looked so pretty.
I’m not even going to try to justify this blatant display of shoe porn from Zara Spring/Summer 2014… just enjoy!
Down at the bottom of the garden, among the birds and the bees, that’s where you’ll find me.
Scribbling down ideas and to-do lists in my trusty notebook, tapping away like a mad woman on my smart phone. It’s one of the few places I can find total piece of mind. Working from home has major benefits (working in your pyjamas, no awkward office politics) but the fact is you are at home. All the drama of family life, swirls around the house, most distracting. Yes I have an office, which comes in handy for ‘official’ business but my best ideas- the lightning bolts of inspiration, tends to strike when I’m relaxed and disconnected from the rest of the world.
Being unequivocally unplugged, as it turns out, isn’t quite so helpful when it comes to finding inspiration. Just checking a fact or doing a quick, preliminary search is practically second nature now. Being able to fact check and write at the same time speeds up the whole creative process and stops me wandering off subject. A great article is a combination of fresh ideas and reliable research. With a portable device I can separate myself from the rest of humanity but still have infinite resources at my disposal. So if you need me, now you know where to look.
Where do you do your best blogging from? Tell Curry’s about your blogging habits to win one of two Microsoft Surface Pro Tablets. Good Luck. x
Olivia Palermo sauntered through London Fashion Week in her usual faultless style. Maybe I’m a little biased because I have a rather huge (and well documented) style crush on Olivia P. Elegant and super stylish, Olivia mixes simple pieces with statement accessories to create a classic but contemporary look. If you’re going to steal, it may as well be from the best….
Olivia at Preen.
Olivia at Anya Hindmarch.
1. Bathhurst Bag, £1295, Anya Hindmarch. 2. Maxmara scarf, £68, Matches Fashion. 3. Isabel Marant jumper, £205, Matches Fashion. 4. Each x Other, £304, Matches Fashion. 5. Jewelled Brooch, £7.50, ASOS. 6. Blank NYC jeans, £20, ASOS. 7. New Look shoes, £15.99, ASOS. Sunglasses,